Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Reading The New York Times

Very rarely do I actually read a newspaper, in print or online, so it has been nice to have the requirement to read the New York Times. It is important for us to stay current on our world but unfortunately I don’t do that. As I said in my previous post, the only way I know what is happening is through word of mouth. For me, the assignment of having to read the New York Times has not been just another tedious homework assignment. I have enjoyed reading it and hopefully will continue to do so after this class. When I am looking through the headlines to decide what I want to read I think my focus goes to the stories about the rest of the world. I rarely look at the stories about the U.S. and especially the stories about the U.S. government. I am an international student and love to travel so I would much rather read about animal trafficking in Thailand than Obama’s deficit savings. I will look at the headlines of all the stories but to be honest I don’t read any articles about politics. I have very little interest in politics, which might stem from the fact that I grew up in Dubai where expats don’t have any control over the government or the laws. So I guess what I have missed because of what I focus on is actually what’s important to the country in which I live. I plan to continue to live in the U.S. after I graduate but somehow I still don’t think too much about the politics of this country. If anything has changed it would simply be the fact that I am reading the news more, whether it is the stories about animal trafficking or Lindsey Vonn’s knee injury and not politics…

No comments:

Post a Comment